Independent Retailer Month July 2020
Clare Rayner, known as “The Retail Champion”, first started the Independent Retailer Month Campaign in the USA in July 2011. It has now turned into a local, national and global event to encourage consumers to shop at independent retailers; highlighting their positive social and economic impacts.
The Champion encourages people to shop locally at independent retailers year-round and to use July as a time to celebrate the independent retailers that help build our economy and create more sustainable cities, towns and communities.
Here are some great ideas and examples of how your business can celebrate Independent Retailer Month and promote your small business to the community.
- Bonus dollars: Give customers a $1 coupon for every $10 they spend in your store in July. The coupon is redeemable in August.
- Meet and greet: Invite your customers to meet brand owners/representatives to your store.
- Goodie bags: Give with certain purchases or to new customers.
- Run a contest: Offer the chance for one lucky winner and friends to have a private shopping party with exclusive discounts.
- Shopping crawl: Team up with neighbouring independent retailers to host a shopping crawl providing a map and prizes for participants.
- Check-in deals: Offer every shopper that “checks in” or tags your store on social media an exclusive promotion in-store.
- Online coupons: Offer exclusive promotions on your website that are redeemable in-store only.
The Activity City directory is your one stop shop for all your favourite local business in the Glenorchy Municipality. Have a look around and find new and old favourite stores to visit.
If you’re a business, artist, maker or community organisation join the Activity City family and start to enhance your outreach.